Bulgur is a healthy alternative to rice and is ideal when accompanied with this Coban Salad, known as a "shepherd's salad" in Turkish. Coban (or Choban) Salad is one of the most popular salads in Turkey and as it is light and refreshing, it is especially popular in summer. Garnish with mint and serve with natural yoghurt for extra flavour.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Bulgur, Rice & Choban Salad.
1kg coarse bulgur
3 red onions
Fresh mint (optional)
2tbsp white vinegar
3tbsp olive oil
3tbsp lemon juice
1tbsp pomegranate sauce
2 chopped red peppers/capsicums
Pinch black pepper
Pinch ground mint
2tbsp natural yoghurt (optional)
Butter, for frying
Pinch paprika (optional)
Pinch sumak (optional)
1. Melt butter in a pot on medium heat and add finely chopped onions.
2. Stir until onions start to cook.
3. Add chopped red capsiums/peppers and one chopped peeled tomato.
4. Add 1 tbsp tomato paste, a pinch of salt and the black pepper and oregano.
5. Add optional sumak and paprika.
3. Add 1 litre of water, the Vegeta and 1 cup bulgur and cook for 10-15 minutes on medium heat.
1. Dice peeled cucumbers and 2 peeled tomatoes and place in salad bowl.
2. Cut dill, parsley and red onion finely and add to bowl.
3. Add 2tbsp vinegar, 3tbsp olive oil and 1tbsp pomegranate sauce.
4. Add juice of 1/2 a lemon.
5. Stir all ingredients together and garnish with mint.
Made by Grand Chef Australia, using ingredients from Grand Foods.